3.27.11 Asteya - Nonstealing
Patanjali Yoga Sutra 2.37 "To one established in non-stealing all wealth comes."
According to Sri Swami Satchidananda there are five types of interactions:
1. A person who takes 100% and gives nothing back - Theif
2. A person who takes 100% and gives 50% back - Debtor
3. A person who takes 100% and gives 100% back - Fair businessman
4. A person who takes 50% and gives 100% back - Righteous person
5. A person who takes nothing and gives 100% - Saint
Think about what category you and your actions fall into and then consider how stealing harms you and others. Start to shift your words and actions towards the last type of interaction. Do good, be good. Be aware of what you want, you may get it. Stop reaching and grasping for things and simply receive what comes. Consider time, diet, exercise routines, meditation, property and possessions.
OM Shanti call/response opening chant. Nethra Vyayamam (eye movements) up, down, left, right, clockwise and counter-clockwise. Tadasana (mountain pose) > Urdhva Hastasana (upward palms facing pose) following the breath, inhale up coming onto the toes, exhale down. Soorya Namaskaram (sun salutations) with backbend, lunge, and Ashtangasana (eight pointed pose) 3x. Adho Mukha Svanasana (downward facing dog), lunge, Anjaneyasana (monkey pose), Balasana (child's pose), Virabhadrasana II (warrior II). Vinyasa (moving with the breath) of Virabhadrasana II > Star pose, Reverse Vira II > Parsvakonasana (intense side angle pose). Bhujangasana (cobra pose), Ardha Dhanurasana (half bow pose) and Dhanurasana (bow pose).
Harriet, my lovely assistant took over leading the class through a cool down and a restful and inspiring final relaxation pose. She led the students through Dandasana (staff pose), Paschimottanasana (west back stretch), Janu Sirsasana (head to knee pose), Upavistha Konasana (seated wide angle pose), Baddha Konasana (bound angle pose). Apanasana (knees to chest pose - yoga hug), Anandabalasana (happy baby pose), Savasana (corpse pose) with guided relaxation provided by Harriet, a visualization of warming light entering the third eye and spreading down to the legs and arms to heal and nurture every cell. Coming out of Savasana, I played two crystal chakra singing bowls A and C.
Final reflection from Swami Karunananda
1. Do I take things that do not belong to me?
2. Do I use things that do not belong to me without asking?
3. Do I present ideas of others as my own?
4. Do I steal time of others by a) being late, b) not preparing well before appointments/meetings, or c) not following through with commitments?
5. Do I steal from others by being possessive in relationships or being emotionally imposing?
6. Do I expect others to clean up for me?
7. Do I receive each breath with gratitude and serve as best I can in every moment?
Ending Peace Chants:
Asaato Maa Sad Gamaya Tamaso Maa Jyotir Gamaya Mrityor Maa Amritam Gamaya
Lead us from unreal to Real. Lead us from darkness to the Light. Lead us from the fear of death to the knowledge of Immortality.
OM Shanti, Shanti, Shanti
Lokaah Samastaah Sukhino Bhavantu
May the entire universe be filled with Peace and Joy, Love and Light.
Jai Sri Sat Guru Maharaj Ki!